When I stop to think about it, I’m somewhat baffled by the fact that I am in a healthy relationship with a Frenchman. How on earth did that happen? Did I do things differently? Did I read a magical how to date a Frenchman manual?
I guess if I break it down, I did do things a little differently. Call it experience. Or call it being in a place where I just let go. Basically what that meant was:
– I let him pursue me in the early stages. In other words, the mirroring technique was key wherein he texted me, I texted back, he asked me out for dinner, I said yes, etc.
– I let him set the pace of our relationship. I let him kiss me. He set up our dates. Very quickly he wanted to see me pretty much every day.
– We moved in together because it felt natural. There was no convincing. He wanted us to move in together and I said yes.
– Likewise, he wants us to start trying for a baby. And I said yes!!! Duh!!!
– On that note, we have the same life goals, which definitely helps. Such things need to be talked about sooner rather than later.
– And here’s the big one: I am zen, because my Frenchman makes me feel secure. How? In that we have plans for the future, he is so openly loving, patient and giving.
– I let things develop without pushing them. A combination of that and my Frenchman being the one for me propelled things forward very quickly.
– I embrace my feminine energy by letting him take care of me, and letting him do manly things like opening a new jam jar, a new bottle of juice, changing a light bulb, carrying the shopping bags, etc. Even if you think that sounds ridiculous, (French)men like to feel useful like that!
Now I’m not saying that we never have disagreements. Because we do sometimes. But we work our way through them pretty quickly. Because he’s easygoing and I can’t stay mad at him for more than 5 minutes. He’ll usually disappear into another room and I’ll go find him and hug him. Or he’ll make me laugh the way he always does.