Let’s face it: dating can be stressful. Meeting Frenchmen, waiting to be asked out for a first date, deciding what to wear, does he or doesn’t he like you, will he or won’t he kiss you, does he want to see you again, the fear of rejection, why isn’t he texting you, did you do something wrong? And then when you’re seeing a Frenchman, there’s the stress of wondering if you’re exclusive, where you stand, where things are going, does he see you as his girlfriend, is he going to ask you to move in, is he thinking long term, does he really love you?
Some of these may be ringing a bell. Maybe more than you’d like to admit. So what do you do?
Well, to begin with, you can decrease the sources of stress:
- Relax: every date isn’t the be all and end all. If it doesn’t work out, there’ll be other dates. So don’t put too much pressure on yourself.
- Lower your expectations: no Frenchman is perfect so don’t set out with abnormally high expectations.
- Slow down: don’t get ahead of yourself. You don’t need to know where the relationship is going after just 3 weeks.
- Live in the moment: don’t overanalyze what your Frenchman said yesterday and don’t worry about the future. Concentrate on the now and being present in the moment.
- Lighten up: have fun, be yourself and don’t see every new guy as your future husband.
- Breathe: take up yoga if it helps.
Easier said than done, I know!